Our Worldwide Code of Conduct, first published in 1974, defines what we stand for and believe in, documenting the uncompromisingly high ethical standards our company has upheld since its founding in 1925. The Code helps Caterpillar employees put our values and principles into action every day by providing detailed guidance on the behaviors and actions that support our values of Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Commitment and Sustainability. The Code is our guiding document for environmental policy. Supporting documents, such as our Supplier Code of Conduct and Sustainability disclosures on our website, provide further details. The following compilation of environmental statements from these sources provides our commitment to the environment.
We are committed to building a better world. Sustainability is part of who we are and what we do every single day. We recognize progress involves a balance of environmental stewardship, social responsibility and economic growth. We consider this as we work toward a vision of a world in which people’s basic needs – such as shelter, clean water, education and reliable energy – are fulfilled. We provide work environments, products, services and solutions that make productive and efficient use of resources as we strive to achieve our vision. We believe this commitment supports the enduring success of our customers, stockholders, dealers and our people. 
- We focus on environmental responsibility and preventing waste. We focus on improving the quality and efficiency of our operations while reducing our environmental impact. We support environmental stewardship by utilizing business processes that enable waste prevention, improve quality and promote the efficient use of resources in our locations. Our waste prevention efforts are integrated end-to-end across the value chain from suppliers to our dealers. We work with them to improve the processes and systems used throughout the manufacturing and delivery of our products. We are committed to complying with environmental laws and regulations and expect our suppliers and dealers to do the same. 
- Our EHS assurance manual outlines Caterpillar’s EHS Management System and establishes fundamental requirements for all workplaces globally, including majority-owned subsidiaries and majority-owned joint ventures. 
- We innovate to make our customers more efficient and productive. We innovate to provide customers with products, services and solutions that improve the sustainability of their operations. We leverage technology and customer insight to improve product performance, promote remanufacturing to extend product life and make job sites more productive, safer and more efficient. We encourage our dealers to do the same. We support sustainable solutions that protect and preserve the environment while leading to profitable growth for Caterpillar and our customers. Our products and services will meet or exceed applicable regulations wherever they are initially sold. 
- We support Infrastructure development and access to energy. Meeting the demands of the increasing global population and improving the standard of living throughout the world will require infrastructure development including access to safe and reliable energy sources. We support balanced and comprehensive policies that promote continued infrastructure development and utilization of all energy resources, including traditional sources of energy as well as alternative and renewable energy technologies. We develop products and services that contribute to sustainable power generation and infrastructure development solutions. 
- We expect suppliers to support environmental stewardship by utilizing business processes that enable waste prevention, improve quality and promote the efficient use of resources. Caterpillar will work with suppliers to improve the processes and systems used throughout the manufacturing and delivery of our products. Suppliers are required to comply with environmental laws and regulations.
- Our suppliers are expected to implement policies and procedures to reduce water consumption in water scarce regions and use water resources efficiently throughout the world.
- Caterpillar recognizes energy is a key requirement for sustainable progress around the world and is foundational to economic and social development. Our suppliers are expected to implement policies and procedures to improve energy efficiency and/or reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Caterpillar works to minimize waste across the end to end value chain, as a good environmental steward and as an important strategy for competing in today’s markets. Our suppliers are expected to develop systematic policies and procedures, including LEAN principles, to relentlessly and continuously eliminate or reduce waste in terms of both the resources and/or materials consumed by any process in our extended supply chain. Where waste cannot be avoided, we expect suppliers to focus fi rst on reusing materials, second on proper recycling methods, and last on proper disposal, thereby improving overall efficiency.
 Caterpillar Worldwide Code of Conduct
 Caterpillar Sustainability website disclosures
 Supplier Code of Conduct