Caterpillar Shrewsbury aims to take on apprentices to join our four-year program which offers a blend of theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience. You will gain valuable experience in real work environments giving you a head start in your career and allowing you to build on your capabilities. You will also gain an Advanced qualification which is transferable and recognized within the industry.
Based in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, our facility has over 100 years of manufacturing experience and now specializes in a wide variety of military, rail and Cat machine engines, transmissions and drive line systems.
We work with learning providers who have modern facilities, who understand our business and tailor your learning to help you be successful at work. Our four-year apprenticeship program includes:
- 15 months full-time at college to achieve a Level 2 qualification, which will include additional units specific to our business. This incorporates a number of weeks where you will be in-company full-time with planned on-the-job training.
- This provides an excellent foundation of basic skills and theory for a career in manufacturing and engineering.
- You will engage with leadership whilst at college and spend time working on site, to ensure your familiarity with the business and facility as well as begin to foster a relationship with our team.
- 2 years’ day release (1 day per week) to complete BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
- Three days per week in work with 1 day per week day release. Work-based learning with on-the-job training allows you to learn from our skilled workforce whilst bringing new and innovative practices to our business. This phase includes a structured rotation plan where you will gain experience in a number of operational areas of the business.
Our current apprentices regularly represent our business at various Future Talent events whilst also participating in other internal projects and external opportunities to build their abilities, such as the World Skills competition and the Army Reservists Challenge.