Caterpillar values the relationships we build with our suppliers and will work with suppliers who wish to publicize their relationship with us. However, because of the volume of suppliers we do business with and in an effort to treat all suppliers fairly while protecting the Caterpillar name, we've developed and follow fairly stringent guidelines. We request cooperation from suppliers in adhering to these guidelines.
The objective of these guidelines is to:
- Preserve Caterpillar's brand name by avoiding endorsements of others' products.
- Avoid releasing competitive information.
- Ensure that suppliers' communications are in keeping with Caterpillar's corporate communications strategies.
All suppliers must have a Caterpillar Nondisclosure Agreement (NDA) on file. Suppliers are obligated to refrain from disclosing Caterpillar Confidential Information to anyone, except as expressly permitted in the NDA.
- Some statements of non-Confidential / non-Proprietary facts about Caterpillar's relationship with the supplier are appropriate but must be approved by Caterpillar on a case-by-case basis. Typically communications that are accepted include:
- An initial press release issued by the supplier announcing they’ve been awarded a contract with Caterpillar.
- A press release issued by the supplier announcing they’ve won a supplier quality award from Caterpillar.
- All communications that reference Caterpillar must be vetted through the supplier’s Caterpillar buyer who will work with Corporate Public Affairs for review.
The following are not appropriate and will not be approved:
- Details about products/services/consulting provided by the supplier to Caterpillar
- Details about equipment manufactured/installed by the supplier for a Caterpillar facility
- Details about software or other technical services provided by the supplier to Caterpillar
- Other specifications as determined by Caterpillar on a case-by-case basis
- Dollar amounts and/or volume of any contracts
- Assumptions as to how the supplier’s products/services have improved Caterpillar’s operations
- Endorsements of the supplier's product/service
- Quotes from Caterpillar employees
- Use of our photos, logo or trademarked name is prohibited in any publication, including:
- Web sites
- Case studies or white papers
- Pamphlets, brochures, radio/television ads, or any other advertising materials