Caterpillar Sustainability - Vision, Mission & Strategy
Our vision is a world in which all people's basic requirements — such as shelter, clean water, sanitation, food and reliable power — are fulfilled in an environmentally sustainable way.
Our mission is to enable economic growth through infrastructure and energy development, and to provide solutions that support communities and protect the planet.
Our strategy is to provide work environments, products, services and solutions that make efficient use of the world's natural resources and reduce unnecessary impacts on communities, the environment and the economy.
We will execute our strategy by working to meet our long-term aspirational goals. We set yearly targets where possible and are working on additional targets to help us measure our annual progress.
Critical Success Factors
Culture. Create a culture of sustainability in all our business units and in all our daily work.
Progress: We identify and share best practices to promote our employees' awareness and understanding of sustainability. We continue to foster a corporate culture of transparency, disclosure and engagement.
Operations. Be consistent with our sustainability principles and contribute to 2020 aspirational sustainable development goals.
Progress: The Caterpillar Production System provides the recipe for efficiency and excellence in our facilities. We actively encourage employees to conserve resources and be more efficient. Operating in a more efficient and sustainable manner will reduce impacts on people and the environment, and help us and our customers save money.
Business Opportunities. Identify and pursue business growth opportunities created by sustainable development.
Progress: We are actively embedding sustainability throughout our Caterpillar brand portfolio, our new product development process and our technologies. Our business leaders continue to drive growth in sales of products, services and solutions that help customers meet their sustainability challenges. We utilize 6 Sigma methodologies to focus our work and drive measurable benefits.
2020 Goals for Operations
- Design all new construction to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) or comparable green building criteria
- Eliminate waste by reducing waste generation and reusing or recycling all that remains
- Hold water consumption flat
- Use alternative / renewable sources to meet 20% of our energy needs
- Reduce absolute greenhouse gas emissions from existing facilities by 25%
- Increase energy efficiency by 25%
- Reduce recordable workplace injury rates to 0.6 and lost-time case rate due to injury to 0.15
2020 Goals for Products, Services and Solutions
- Increase customer materials efficiency by 20%
- Increase customer energy efficiency by 20%
- Reduce customer greenhouse gas emissions by 20%
- Provide leadership in the safety of people in, on and around our products