December 6, 2018
A career in human resources wasn’t necessarily at the top of Cheryl Johnson’s list when she started her career over two decades ago. But as you will learn listening to this Caterpillar Podcast, Cheryl’s unique family situation and one very special fifth-grade teacher prepared her for a professional journey leading her to become Caterpillar’s Chief Human Resources Officer in 2017. Cheryl shares her personal and professional story and learn why she so strongly believes that every employee wants to be part of something amazing.
Click here to learn more about Cheryl’s background and career journey.
Show highlights are listed in the program guide below.
Get the latest episodes of the podcast delivered to you by subscribing on your favorite podcast app – SoundCloud, iTunes or Google Play.
- 2:17 – “Coming home” to Caterpillar
- 4:05 – Growing up with two families and one special teacher
- 7:10 – Learning valuable lessons in grad school
- 10:00 – Cheryl lands her first HR job
- 11:30 – Learning life and career lessons in an educational environment
- 13:50 – Cheryl experiences a crescendo moment
- 17:00 – Joining Caterpillar at an amazing time
- 19:45 – Seek first to understand
- 21:38 – Being part of something great
- 23:45 – Where the jobs are and being ready to meet the demand
- 26:10 – The power of meaningful work
- 28:34 – Diamonds are formed under pressure
- 29:15 – Defining Operational Excellence in the HR world
- 32:15 – This or That?
Listen to or read about other episodes of The Caterpillar Podcast