February 7, 2018
Nigel Lewis, vice president of global aftermarket, marketing and brand division, joins the Caterpillar Podcast. He discusses EQ and authenticity in leadership, investments in services for aftermarket and more.
Nigel has gained valuable perspective through his travels, including for many roles with Caterpillar and one very unique family trip to Africa. Part of that perspective includes the role of EQ and authenticity in leadership has become an important part of his personal and leadership development.
"If there's an authenticity there and a genuine care for each other as well as the mission - I think those are principles that have really influenced me to be real as an individual."
The aftermarket is an important component of Caterpillar's strategy announced in 2017. Nigel pulls back the curtain to talk about some examples of what Caterpillar is doing to build out services we have for our customers. One example is how we support customers that don't by exclusively Cat equipment.
"But our customers are telling us that's great, but I own a fleet of Cat and non-Cat equipment, so we're looking at opportunities to serve the fleet as opposed to just Cat equipment."
Listen to the podcast to hear more from Nigel. Show highlights are listed in the program guide below.
Get the latest episodes of the podcast delivered to you by subscribing on your favorite podcast app –SoundCloud, iTunes or Google Play.
- 1:45 - Why Nigel considered being a pilot, diplomat but settled on business, like his parents: "I wanted to plow my own furrow as it were."
- 4:20 - Nigel's career at Caterpillar took him across the globe, compatible with his love of travel and cultures
- 6:40 - The Lewis family learned lessons of simplicity and perspective from time living with the Maasai people in Tanzania
- 12:40 - The difference of IQ and EQ, and the importance of EQ in leadership "It's absolutely necessary."
- 15:00 - Nigel gives examples of what's changing in aftermarket because of new Caterpillar strategy: "The aftermarket is making several big investments in building out the services we have for our customers."
- 16:50 - Staying on top of industry trends and news isn't easy - but Nigel talks through how he does it.
- 20:00 - How aftermarket, brand and marketing is serving customers, and expanding our brand to be more relevant for more and new customers
- 22:50 - Nigel talks on the importance understanding customers - and a story of how Proctor & Gamble learned this lesson