Luis Hernandez, Caterpillar’s Mexico country manager and Nuevo Laredo remanufacturing operations manager, joins the Caterpillar Podcast to talk about remanufacturing and Caterpillar in Mexico.
You lead the remanufacturing facility in Nuevo Laredo – tell us a bit about what remanufacturing is.
The remanufacturing model is when the lifecycle of a product ends, it is returned to a dealer and through reverse logistics system, returns to a remanufacturing facility. It’s what we call a recycling that’s very sustainable because in the typical sense of recycling you take the metals to a foundry, melt them down and then make them back into another component. In this case you don’t have to use all that energy – because you reuse the metals materials in the original form they come from.
What do you do in your role as country manager in Mexico?
You get to be the external face and voice of Caterpillar - you represent the company in the country when it comes to external or third parties. Also, I have a very direct and proactive engagement in public and government affairs, mainly through industry associations. for me it's something that I like a lot, being able to impact and influence the business climate in Mexico to make it more positive so that business can foster and prosper.
What has helped you throughout your career to get where you are today?
As I was finishing college and reflecting what my life would be, I started writing a path of what I wanted to become. It included what I wanted to do by what age and I wrote it down on a piece of paper. I still keep that piece of paper, and even thought I haven’t followed it exactly it has been a great map for me to measure if I’m being successful or not.
Listen to the podcast to hear more from Luis Hernandez. Show highlights are listed in the program guide below.
Get the latest episodes of the podcast delivered to you by subscribing on your favorite podcast app –SoundCloud, iTunes or Google Play.
- 1:35 - "Never be ashamed of your accent" – Luis shares upbringing in Nuevo Laredo, and the connections between the U.S. and Mexico
- 6:12 - Luis shares about a piece of paper that helped lead him to where he is now, influencing his career as an engineer and leader
- 9:04 - How Luis joined Caterpillar; hear how someone took a chance on Luis for a career changing role
- 12:30 - What does a country manager do at Caterpillar? Hear Luis describe his role as Caterpillar's Mexico country manager
- 15:00 - Luis's passion for employee experience led to award-winning efforts. Learn why Luis is passionate about all employees having equal opportunities
- 17:20 - Luis leads the Nuevo Laredo remanufacturing facility. Learn what remanufacturing is and how it drives value for our customers
- 22:10 - Caterpillar has had a presence in Mexico for a long time; hear how Luis and other leaders in Mexico ensure collaboration across organizations within Caterpillar in Mexico.
Listen to or read about other episodes of The Caterpillar Podcast