Our vision is a world in which all people’s basic needs – such as shelter, clean water, sanitation, food and reliable power – are fulfilled in an environmentally sustainable way and a company that improves the quality of the environment and the communities where we live and work.
Our mission is to enable economic growth through infrastructure and energy development, and to provide solutions that support communities and protect the planet.
Our strategy is to provide work environments, products, services and solutions that make productive and efficient use of resources as we strive to achieve our vision.
We apply innovation and technology to improve the sustainability performance of Caterpillar’s products, services, solutions and operations. We believe sustainable progress is made possible by developing better systems that maximize life cycle benefits, while also minimizing the economic, social and environmental costs of ownership, as reflected in our sustainability principles.
We will execute our strategy by working to meet our aspirational sustainable development goals.
2020 Goals for Operations
- Design all new facility construction to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) or comparable green building criteria
- Reduce energy intensity by 50 percent.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions intensity by 50 percent.
- Use alternative / renewable sources to meet 20 percent of our energy needs
- Reduce water consumption intensity by 50 percent.
- Reduce by-product materials intensity by 50 percent.
- Reduce recordable workplace injury rates to 0.6 and lost-time case rate due to injury to 0.15
2020 Goals for Product Stewardship
- Leverage technology and innovation to improve sustainability of our products, services and solutions for our customers.
- Increase managed fleet hours by 100 percent.
- Increase remanufactured and rebuild business sales by 20 percent.
- Provide leadership in the safety of people in, on and around our products