Our Worldwide Code of Conduct, first published in 1974, defines what we stand for and believe in, documenting the uncompromisingly high ethical standards our company has upheld since its founding in 1925. The Code helps Caterpillar employees put our values and principles into action every day by providing detailed guidance on the behaviors and actions that support our values of Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Commitment and Sustainability. The Code is our guiding document for environmental policy. Supporting documents, such as our Supplier Code of Conduct and Sustainability Report, provide further details. The following compilation of environmental statements from these three sources provides our commitment to the environment.
We are committed to building a better world. Sustainability is part of who we are and what we do every single day. We recognize progress involves a balance of environmental stewardship, social responsibility and economic growth. We consider this as we work toward a vision of a world in which people’s basic needs – such as shelter, clean water, education and reliable energy – are fulfilled. We provide work environments, products, services and solutions that make productive and efficient use of resources as we strive to achieve our vision. We believe this commitment supports the enduring success of our customers, stockholders, dealers and our people. 
- We focus on environmental responsibility and preventing waste. We focus on improving the quality and efficiency of our operations while reducing our environmental impact. We support environmental stewardship by utilizing business processes that enable waste prevention, improve quality and promote the efficient use of resources in our locations. Our waste prevention efforts are integrated end-to-end across the value chain from suppliers to our dealers. We work with them to improve the processes and systems used throughout the manufacturing and delivery of our products. We are committed to complying with environmental laws and regulations and expect our suppliers and dealers to do the same. 
- Our EHS Management System, known as the Caterpillar EHS Assurance Manual: A Practical Global Framework, establishes the global requirements for environmental, health and safety compliance. The EHS Assurance Manual sets out mandatory standards that are consistent across the enterprise and periodically assessed at the facility level to improve management of enterprise environmental, health and safety compliance. The EHS Assurance Manual applies to all Caterpillar facilities worldwide, including majority-owned subsidiaries and joint ventures, and is designed to effectively implement an EHS enterprise-wide management system. 
- We innovate to make our customers more efficient and productive. We innovate to provide customers with products, services and solutions that improve the sustainability of their operations. We leverage technology and customer insight to improve product performance, promote remanufacturing to extend product life and make job sites more productive, safer and more efficient. We encourage our dealers to do the same. We support sustainable solutions that protect and preserve the environment while leading to profitable growth for Caterpillar and our customers. Our products and services will meet or exceed applicable regulations wherever they are initially sold. 
- We support Infrastructure development and access to energy. Meeting the demands of the increasing global population and improving the standard of living throughout the world will require infrastructure development including access to safe and reliable energy sources. We support balanced and comprehensive policies that promote continued infrastructure development and utilization of all energy resources, including traditional sources of energy as well as alternative and renewable energy technologies. We develop products and services that contribute to sustainable power generation and infrastructure development solutions. 
- We have established sustainability goals for new projects for the enterprise, including: designing all new facility construction to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) or comparable green building criteria and leveraging technology and innovation to improve sustainability of our products, services and solutions for our customers. 
- We expect suppliers to focus on improving the quality and efficiency of their operations while reducing their environmental impact. We expect them to support environmental stewardship by utilizing business processes that enable waste prevention, improve quality and promote the efficient use of resources in their locations. Caterpillar will work with suppliers to improve the processes and systems used throughout the manufacturing and delivery of our products. Suppliers are required to comply with environmental laws and regulations. Our suppliers are expected to:
- Implement policies and procedures to ensure water discharges are minimized or eliminated and reduce water consumption in water scarce regions.
- Implement policies and procedures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, work towards minimizing or eliminating emissions to the air, improve energy efficiency and increase use of co-generation and alternative or renewable energy sources.
- Develop policies and procedures to reduce by-product materials, minimize or eliminate hazardous waste, increase the recycling of waste streams, ensure proper disposal and recycling methods are employed, and improve overall efficiency of products, processes, services and solutions. 
 Caterpillar Worldwide Code of Conduct
 Caterpillar Sustainability Report
 Supplier Code of Conduct