On Thanksgiving Day, 1904, Benjamin Holt demonstrated what would become the first commercially-successful track-type tractor. The machine’s tracks inspired the name “Caterpillar”, the name we have today, and the machine’s success was the start of Caterpillar’s rise to become one of the best-known brands in the world.
In 1925, Benjamin Holt’s business, the Holt Manufacturing Company, merged with the C.L. Best Tractor Co. to form modern-day Caterpillar. In some cases, former Holt and Best dealers were retained to create the Caterpillar dealer network. In other cases, new dealerships were formed to enhance geographic coverage.
The name Holt became part of Texas history in 1933, when Benjamin’s second son, William K. Holt, was awarded the Cat® dealership for South and Central Texas. The business began with fewer than 10 employees in San Antonio.
Holt product innovation did not stop with Benjamin. The Holt Root Plow and Holt Spray King Water Wagon are just a few products invented at the dealership.
Holt Cat has grown from one of the smallest Cat dealerships in the U.S. into one of the largest in the world. HOLT CAT is the authorized Cat heavy equipment and engine dealer for 118 counties in South, Central, North, and East Texas. Holt Cat sells, services, and rents Cat equipment, engines, generators, and trucks for construction, mining, industrial, petroleum, and agricultural applications. They also sell Cat used equipment worldwide and fabricate their own line of custom-engineered products, including land management products and water tankers.
The next generation of Holt Cat owners are Peter J. Holt and Corinna Holt Richter, both of whom are also direct descendants of Benjamin Holt. Under their leadership, the Holt name continues to be synonymous with quality, integrity, and commitment to customer service.