Caterpillar Leicester is part of the Building Construction Products Division (BCP), manufacturing three different products in over 60,000 square metres of production facility, with 1500 employees based at the Desford site.
At Leicester we manufacture a range of world class Backhoe Loaders, Mini Hydraulic Excavators and Compact Wheel Loaders, as part of the Building Construction products range. Products that are reliable, cost effective, versatile and adaptable. Each of the different product families has several different machine models with differing power, abilities and features.
Today Leicester is more than just a production area - it is a full product development facility with global responsibilities for many of its products. Our advanced product development facilities include: Advanced 3 dimensional computer design systems on-line to other Caterpillar engineering resource centres around the world, full product prototyping and engineering capabilities, and, through the international network, access to some of the most advanced R&D facilities in the world.
We have a number of opportunities within the Backhoe Loader, Compact Wheel Loader and Systems Engineering teams. In order to grow and move forwards, we provide the necessary resources, freedom and support to those who thrive on this sort of challenge and opportunity.
The Engineering department design construction equipment for supply to global markets, which are assembled at the Caterpillar UK sites and in some cases also at other global locations. The department's main function is new product development, driven by legislation, customer requirements and the business needs.
The key role of this entry level engineering position is to learn and assist: to gain an understanding of Caterpillar's business, products, systems, and procedures; to learn and develop skills which result from the practical application of basic engineering knowledge and to provide assistance to a project team or others in the work group.
- To work as part of a design or system team, accountable for the delivery of specific design or development projects.
- To gain understanding of one or more of the following areas:
- Knowledge of design tools and process including Pro-E design, CAE, machine testing, systems integration.
- Development of product knowledge, including critical customer requirements, application profiles, competitive machine positioning.
- Development of supplier knowledge and capabilities including design for manufacturing and should cost modeling
Our graduates are given the support and coaching required to develop their technical capability and business understanding. Within a short period of time our graduates become embedded team members, vital to the success of the Engineering department within which they operate, and accountable for delivering key engineering responsibilities. The experience this offers means that our graduates are well positioned to become future leaders and technical experts within our business.
Skills/Experience/Key competencies required:
- Possess at least a basic knowledge of construction equipment operation and design.
- Interest in automotive, industrial machine or agriculture would be beneficial.
- Competent using MS Office suite and ideally skilled in the use of 3D design tools such as Pro E.
- Highly self motivated.
- Desire to challenge both yourself and the organisation on delivery of technically superior cost effective designs and solutions.
- Potential to be a technical leader within Caterpillar.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal, a foreign language would be an asset.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a global team as well as on own initiative.
- Strong planning, organising and problem solving skills.
- Willing to travel and engage different cultures.
- A minimum of 2:1 honors degree level in engineering or similar technical discipline.
- Masters degree or further education would be an advantage.
- Industrial or work experience in a similar environment desired.